Friday, April 8, 2011

Preface - Notes

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,
thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou eatest thereof
thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:17


"See, this is what I hate about you vampires. Sex and death and love and pain... it's all the same damn thing to you."
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer


It wasn't the worst way to die: in the place of someone I loved, truly and absolutely.  A noble death, even.  I had never been a noble person - or even an extraordinary one - so maybe it counted for something, going out like this.

We all have our little hopes.

I stared into the hunters eyes like the trapped rat that I was, and he grinned pleasantly back at me.  Killing me wouldn't bother him any.  Most likely it wouldn't bother anyone.  Except maybe one person...

I know I'd never have died this way if I hadn't come to this awful town.  But I have no regrets.  When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, one can hardly grieve when that dream comes to an end.

The hunter smiled again, and sauntered slowly forwards to wake me.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so here's my first bout with the dragon. While the preface is pretty short, there are a couple of things here I wanted to get right off the bat:

    Stephanie Meyer knew what she was doing with this preface, but she didn't understand how to do it. The hallmarks of good storytelling are there - opening with the imminent death scene, especially classy in a vampire novel even if it's pretty inherently obvious that she's not going to "die" die. She has a concept here for a friendly-faced killer that is grossly mishandled, but I can't exactly put any more description on it without knowing who this mystery man is, so I just cleaned up the language where I could.

    What'sherface, our protagonist, needs a face. The opening riff should establish her as a character as much as it establishes anyone. Knowing what little I do about the series, I can surmise that this character has been a huge jackass all her life and is otherwise completely average in every way. Rather than try to reinvent her without knowing her plot, I figured I'd make her self-aware of this in a fairly tragic sense.

    A lot of the necessary parts were there to make this work already. If that keeps being true I won't have to go back and write things from scratch. Otherwise, we might be taking another pass at this later.

    ReplyDelete